Dear Friend and Visitor of our Website,
On Behalf of The Matt Garcia Foundation Board of Directors, and the entire Garcia and Courtemanche family; I want to wish you and your Family a Very Merry Christmas and the Happiest of Holiday Seasons.
It has been ten years since my son, the late Fairfield City Councilman Matt Garcia was murdered on September 1st, 2008 at the young age of 22. Over these years, your thoughts, prayers, kind words and support have strengthened me as a person and allowed me to be a mom to my two daughters, Briana & Tea’Rae. My husband, (of 28 years) who many call Brother Ray for the love he has for our city, well, we are now grandparents to Ansel Kevin Owen, who will be 1 year old on December 30th this year. We are blessed!
After I lost our son, we established The Matt Garcia Foundation, built on Matt’s Campaign Promises, When you Support Youth, it Helps Stop Crime and Ultimately Strengthens our Communities.
Because of you:
- We have established Youth Advisory Boards to mentor students through high school, and now some have become actual Board Members: Sakina, 19 years of age, an aspiring policy maker, and Briana, 20 years of age, an aspiring school teacher, both in college and mentoring youth.
- This Christmas Season our community will support youth at The Matt Garcia PAL Youth Center with many after-school opportunities for tutoring and mentoring, enabling thousands of children to have a higher quality of life.
- I have helped mentor women who have lost their loved ones.
- I’ve gone into several prisons and spoken to hardened prisoners convicted of murder about the choices that their decisions have had on family members.
- The Matt Garcia Career and College Academy provides students the opportunity to develop themselves and become productive members of society.
- The Matt Garcia Home for Women and Children has supported hundreds of women and children, protecting them from the elements while they get their lives on track.
- We have hosted monthly community service days for the past ten years.
- 100 students have received scholarships to help them advance their college careers.
As we finalize our 2018 activities and prepare for 2019, would you consider helping us financially? This is the first time that I have sent out a request asking for your financial support specifically. I am confident that this is the right thing to do. With NO paid staff, your generosity will be multiplied for generations to come. Your donations are completely tax deductible. As you can see from the PIE Chart – the Largest Portion of All Donation go to YOUTH Mentorship. You can Donate securely by clicking on the DONATE Tab. Please consider making a small Year-End Donation now.
For all those we mentor and serve – Thank You!
Teresa, Matt’s Mom, Your Foundation President